Rebates on new EVs end December 31, 2023.
Get up to $1,500 in rebates for new EVs. Vehicle rebates will continue on used vehicles in 2024. You may also qualify for state and federal rebates up to $10,000.
Pasadena Water and Power is committed to the adoption of electric vehicles by offering incentives to customers who drive plug-in electric vehicles and install charging stations at their homes and businesses. PWP is also expanding the charging infrastructure by installing chargers at public parking structures throughout the city.
Find a PWP EV Fast Charger
- Arroyo Charging Depot at 64. E Glenarm Street
- Marengo Charging Plaza at 155 E. Green Street
- Del Mar Garage at 202 S. Raymond Avenue
Level 2 chargers are available at City-owned garages and parking lots throughout the City.
Why Choose an Electric Vehicle?
More and more people are choosing electric vehicles over gas-powered cars and trucks to reduce pollution, conserve energy, save money and reduce their carbon footprint. And, more and more auto companies are shifting their focus to EVs.
- No Tailpipe Emissions: Electric vehicles have a smaller environmental impact than conventional vehicles. With PWP’s commitment to sustainability, currently 35% of Pasadena’s power comes from renewable sources, and will increase to 50% by 2030, meaning the electricity you use to power your vehicle will be cleaner every year. And to be even more green, choose PWP’s Green Power Program to power your home or business from 100% renewable sources, producing no emissions at all.
- Home Recharging: Electric cars can be conveniently charged in garages or driveways while they’re parked overnight using existing outlets. Installing a charging station at home will charge the vehicle even faster.
- Cheaper to Operate: Given the considerable efficiency of electric cars compared to internal combustion engine models, the cost to fuel an EV is approximately one-third to one-half the cost of gasoline (on a cost-per-mile basis).
- Quiet and Quick: An electric car is very quiet and very smooth. EVs are built with high torque (axle-twisting power) allowing full acceleration in just a few seconds.
Incentives for Electric Vehicles
- Customers can receive a rebate up to $250 when they purchase or lease a new or used plug-in electric vehicle (EV).
- Customers can receive an additional $250 bonus rebate if they purchase or lease an EV from a Pasadena auto dealer. Note: Since Tesla relies on a direct-sale business model where the transaction is completed entirely online, the Pasadena auto dealer bonus will not apply.
- An additional $1000 is available for customers currently participating in PWP’s income-qualifying programs.
- Additionally, customers can receive a $600 rebate when they install a qualifying Level 2 “Wi-Fi enabled” EV charger, or a $200 rebate when they install a standard (Non Wi-Fi) Level 2 EV charger in their home.
PWP EV Charging Station Incentive for Commercial Electric Customers: PWP's commercial electric customers can receive rebates of up to $6,000 per port for the installation of qualifying, Level 2 smart EV chargers.
A Federal Tax Credit of up to $7,500 per vehicle is available for the first 200,000 PEVs from each automaker.
Clean Vehicle Rebate Program: Administered by the Center for Sustainable Energy for the California Air Resources Board (CARB), the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP) provides monetary rebates of up to $7,000 for the purchase or lease of new electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles.
Clean Vehicle Assistance Program: Also administered by the CARB, this program is for low-income customers only and provides grants of up to $5,000 for the purchase or lease a new or used hybrid or electric vehicle. This can be combined with the CVRP as well.
Carpool Lane Sticker: Qualifying PEV and Plug-In Hybrid EV owners are eligible to ride in the high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane by obtaining a Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) sticker. A limited number of “Green Stickers” are available for plug in hybrids, and an unlimited number of “White Stickers” are available for electric-only vehicles.
Discounted Toll Lanes: Vehicles displaying a current DMV-issued CAV sticker may be eligible for a 15% discount on the I-10 and I-110 Metro Expresslane.
Download this comprehensive list of all the incentives here:
South Coast AQMD
South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) offers an income-qualified Replace Your Ride program. Qualified applicants could receive up to $9,500 to replace their older, high-polluting vehicle with a newer hybrid or electric vehicle. For more information, click here. *As of June, 2020 SCAQMD received $15.4 million from the California Air Resources Board for the Replace Your Ride Program.
Medium and Heavy-Duty Vehicles
The Hybrid and Zero-Emission Truck and Bus Voucher Incentive Project is a simplified incentive program that helps ALL fleets buy hybrid and battery-electric trucks and buses.
Want more information? Visit the links below, and in the sidebar, for more resources to help you choose the perfect vehicle.
- EV Shopping Assistant - Plug-In America
- Home Charging Advisor Tool – Electric For All
- Consumer Guide to EVs - Electric Power Research Institute
- Compare EVs by Features - Plug-In Cars
- A Comprehensive List of All Plug-In Vehicles - Plug-In America
- Electric Cars 101 - Consumer Reports
- Your EV Questions, Answered - Consumer Reports