Criminals have been known to use various scams to steal bill payments and identity information from utility customers. Watch this video, and continue reading for details on how to protect yourself from scammers.
Recent Fraud Attempts
Here is a list of the most recent PWP fraud attempts, as reported by our customers. Share this information with other PWP customers to prevent other possible victims from falling prey to these scammers:
- October/November 2023: A recent string of fraudulent calls posing as Pasadena Water and Power are coming from the phone number (888) 305-6255. This is NOT a Pasadena Water and Power number. PWP will not ask for or accept payments over the phone. More details will be posted as they become available.
- July 2023: PWP is aware of a recent string of fraudulent calls originating from the phone numbers 1-800-843-9177, (209) 846-1328 and (424) 286-3570 as well as fraudulent emails from pasadenawaterandpowersupport.com and pasedenawaterandpowersupport.com, both fake addresses. Screenshots of these fraudulent emails are included below. Remember: PWP will never ask for payment over Zelle or other third party app, and you can always verify information by reaching out to customer service directly.
- June 2023: PWP is aware of a recent string of fraudulent calls originating from the phone number 1-800-552-7583. We will update this page with more information as we receive it. Remember: You can always verify information by reaching out to customer service directly.
- March 15-16, 2023 - Scammers are calling and emailing customers claiming to represent PWP demanding payment through Zelle. In addition to demanding payment and threatening shut offs, scammers are also claiming that meters needs to be changed out. Scammers are calling from phone numbers (800) 203-2759, (323) 881-4439, (424) 306-3190, (484) 505-6533 and (818) 869-1759 and are sometimes using the first name Michael and a last name that starts with B. They are sometimes using the name "Pasadena Water & Power Refund" and the email address, "customerservice at pasedenawaterandpowersupport (dot) com." This is not a legitimate Water and Power email address. Scammers are asking customers to call the number (800) 322-0088. PWP does NOT notify customers of their account status by phone or by email, and does NOT request or accept payment through Zelle.
- March 13-14, 2023 - Scammers are calling customers claiming to represent PWP demanding payment through Zelle, and making threats to cut off power. Scammers are calling from phone numbers (424) 306-3190, (484) 505-6533 and (818) 869-1759 and are sometimes using the first name Michael and a last name that starts with B. They are asking customers to call the number (800) 322-0088. PWP does NOT notify customers of their account status by phone, and does NOT request or accept payment through Zelle.
- Phone calls, home visits and online solicitations promoting government utility assistance programs and that ask for social security or banking information
- Phone calls or home visits from someone posing as a PWP representative who demands payment and threatens to turn off water or electric service.
- Unscheduled home visits from scammers posing as PWP meter readers/inspectors or posing as contractors offering home energy audit services.
PWP Employees vs. Scammers
PWP does not notify customers of their account status by phone. Customers with delinquent accounts will receive a “Final Notice” and “Disconnect Notice” from PWP by U.S. Mail notifying them of their account status. Delinquent payments must be made in person at the City Hall Municipal Services counter, online via customer login, or by phone at 626.744.4005.
PWP employees will always wear a visible picture ID, with the city seal and an employee number, and have their supervisor’s phone number on hand. Always look for an official city vehicle outside. PWP employees never use personal vehicles to make service calls.
Outside contractors hired by PWP will have a badge that identifies them as a PWP contractor. Contractors working with our Home Improvement Program or the SoCalGas® Energy Savings Assistance Program will always schedule home visits with the customer before visiting. Periodically, however, PWP may run a program that uses contractors to give information to customers door-to-door. Please call 626-744-4005 to verify they are working with the utility.
Our meter readers and water quality staff generally don’t need to go inside your home, unless your meter is located in a service porch area or you’ve specifically requested an interior inspection.