Black house icon

Garfield Replacement Well Project

Background

Pasadena’s aging water infrastructure needs updating.  Many of the wells that provide groundwater to Pasadena’s residents and surrounding communities were drilled 100 years ago and have been in service beyond their useful life.  Historically, 65% of Pasadena’s water is imported from northern California and the Colorado River which is inefficient and expensive.  The other 35% of water comes from local pumped groundwater which is less expensive, more environmentally friendly option.  PWP intends to improve self-sufficiency of the water supply and reduce costs while making preparation for the reductions of imported water supply due to a number of factors such as climate change, earthquakes and regulatory constraints.

Improving groundwater production capacity will address the water supply needs of the community when imported water supplies are less available.  The first step in working towards this goal is to replace its aging wells and expand treatment capacity with modern facilities and technology.  The second step requires improvements to distribute, store and, where necessary, treat the pumped groundwater.  These improvements are all part of the Water Department’s capital improvement program.

It was 1998 when PWP drilled its last well. The former Garfield Well, now abandoned, was drilled in 1921 and removed from service in 2015.  The new replacement well will use the existing building for electrical equipment and the fenced perimeter since both are needed and functional for its intended purpose, and does not require encumbering more parkland space.  Sound from an operating well is a concern to residents and park users. As a result, the new pumping equipment will utilize a submersible pump which will effectively eliminate noise.

Location

The location for the Garfield Replacement Well is north of the basketball courts and east of the children’s playground on Garfield Avenue, about 100 feet northwest of the existing Garfield Well (586 N. Garfield Avenue) in Villa Parke.

Timeline

The Garfield Replacement Well Project was divided into two phases: the below-grade improvements, which included drilling and construction of the well, and the above-grade improvements, which includes equipping the well with a submersible pump and motor, piping, electrical equipment, and installation of new basketball courts.

The design of below-grade improvements was completed in December 2020, and drilling and construction of the below-grade improvements were completed in April 2022. Design of above-grade improvements was completed in December 2022.

Construction of above-grade improvements: Equipping of the new well and installation of the new basketball courts started in Fall 2023 with completion by Fall 2024.

Additional Information

There will be minimal disruption to the park’s recreational activities during the construction of the above-grade improvements.  PWP will implement the necessary measures to ensure public safety around the work area at all times and special efforts will be taken to keep any other inconveniences to a minimum during construction.

For questions, please email PWPGarfieldWell@cityofpasadena.net