Nov 29,
2023

Holiday Safety Tips From PWP

A red ornament on a Christmas tree surrounded by yellow electrical lights

Here are some useful tips and reminders from Pasadena Water and Power, the Electrical Safety Foundation, and the National Fire Protection Association to help our community celebrate the holidays safely.

  • Inspect electrical decorations for damage before use. Cracked or damaged sockets, loose or bare wires, and loose connections may cause a serious shock or start a fire.
  • Do not overload electrical outlets. Overloaded electrical outlets and faulty wires are a common cause of holiday fires. Avoid overloading outlets by plugging in only one high-wattage appliance into each outlet at a time.
  • Use battery-operated candles. Candles are responsible for nearly half of home decoration fires.
  • Remain in the kitchen when cooking something. Unattended cooking equipment is the leading cause of home cooking fires.
  • Turn off, unplug, and extinguish all decorations before going to bed or leaving the house. Unattended candles are the leading cause of 20% of home candle fires, and half of home fire-related deaths occur between the hours of 11 p.m. and 7 a.m.
  • Protect cords from damage. Cords should never be pinched by furniture, placed underneath rugs, located near heat sources, forced into small spaces such as windows or doors, or attached by nails or staples to avoid fire hazards.
  • Use LED lights rather than traditional incandescent light bulbs. Not only are they more efficient, but they also produce less heat.
  • Keep combustibles at least three feet way from heat sources. Heat sources that were too close to decorations were responsible for half of decoration-related home fires.

We hope these tips help create a safe and happy holiday season.