Turf Replacement Rebate
Prepare your landscape for southern California summers! PWP residential and commercial customers are eligible to receive $2 per square foot rebate for replacing turf with drought tolerant and native plants, retrofitting to a drip/efficient irrigation system, and capturing rainwater.
- Residential customers are eligible to replace turf in front, side, and/or back yard.
- Project must have a minimum of 250 square feet of turf removed, or if the entire yard is less than 250 square feet, all turf must be removed.
- Residential customers can remove up to 5,000 square feet and commercial customers can remove up to 50,000 square feet.
- Completed project area must be covered by at least three (3) plants per 100 square feet.
- The converted area must be designed to capture rainfall through infiltration or on-site storage for reuse. Infiltration and rainwater has to be achieved using one of the following techniques: rain gardens, rain barrels, cisterns, berms, swales, or grades.
- A three inch deep ring of organic mulch must surround all plants.
- Irrigation modification or conversion required for all projects:
- Convert over-head sprays to drip, micro-spray, bubblers, or rotating nozzle or cap sprinkler heads or remove irrigation equipment and hand-water.
- No synthetic turf, plants that appear to be turf, or plants categorized as invasive are allowed.
Visit our Drought Tolerant Landscapes page for a variety of resources on how to best transform your turf.
How to Qualify
- Before you begin your project or remove any turf, you must apply for and receive a reservation on the Socal Water$mart website.
- Residents: visit the Residential Landscape Transformation page
- Businesses: visit the Commercial Landscape Transformation page
- Once approved, you will have 180 days to complete your project
- Visit the Residential Terms and Conditions or Commercial Terns and Conditions page to learn more.
How to Apply
- Submit an application on Socal Water$mart, before you replace any turf.
- Once you have submitted your application, it will be reviewed and you will receive an email from SoCal Water$mart that your rebate has been reserved, along with a reservation number. Please do not start your turf replacement project until you receive the rebate reservation confirmation.
- When your project is complete, visit the Turf Replacement Application to request your rebate by completing “Step 2: Rebate Application”
- Your rebate application will be reviewed and you will receive an email with the results in approximately 4-5 weeks
- Once approved, you will receive your rebate in 8-10 weeks
- Visit the How to Apply page to learn more.
- Only PWP water customers are eligible